Greater Gouverneur Area Chamber of Commerce
Gouverneur Chamber of Commerce Celebrating 110 Years of Service 1908-2018
74 Trinity Ave, Gouverneur, NY 13642
Press release/news- GouvTribunePress@gmail.com
Website- Visit their website.
Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press,
and that cannot be limited without being lost.
~ Thomas Jefferson
When Gouverneur's first newspaper, the Northern New Yorker, began publication, in April, 1849, slavery was still prevalent in the South, the American West was still the domain of native people, the California gold rush had just begun. In July of 1852, another paper, the Laborer, began to publish. Both of Gouverneur’s first newspapers began a long tradition of community involvement and their editorial pages were devoted often to fiery support of abolition, temperance, and many other important causes of the times.
In some form or other, since 1849, Gouverneur has been served by local newspapers. The Gouverneur community has always had a legacy of journalism and a local free press.
For more information, visit the Gouverneur Museum online. Use the Search Tool to find information.
The New York State Historic Newspapers site has digitized available copies of the early newspapers of Gouverneur.
“Francis E. Merritt, who started the first permanent newspaper here in 1864, sold out in 1878 to Horace Reynolds, who called his sheet the Times-Herald. The Gouverneur Free Press, owned and published by Barnard G. Parker, started in 1882. The Northern Tribune, predecessor of the Tribune-Press, started in 1887, and bought the Gouverneur Free Press in 1929, two years after the death of Mr. Parker. Myron R. Sackett, last principal of the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary, was the first publisher and owner of the Northern Tribune.”
(page 15 Gouverneur Sesquicentennial - 11-20.pdf)
"In the spring of 1892, the Gouverneur Herald-Times, the then oldest newspaper in the village, published its final edition." (page 61 Gouverneur Sesquicentennial 61-70.pdf)-
Learn more about the history of the Tribune Press at the Gouverneur Museum.